Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pokemon Cards

Time moves a bit slower here in Spain.  If you tell people to meet you at 5, they will show up at 5:20.  Stores are closed everyday from 2 to 4 because of siestas.  Clubs still play Gettin' Jiggy Wit It.  You get the point. 

Although I was well aware of this fact, I was still pretty surprised when I saw people playing Pokemon cards the other day.  Yes, you heard me right: Pokemon cards.  I saw them when Margrett, Malcolm, and I were in Pollo de Alcala (Alcala chicken) looking around.  I don't know who saw it first, but we definitely spotted people playing Pokemon cards in the restaurant.  And not just in the corner.  They were in plain sight proudly showing their cards to the world.  I was pretty taken aback, as I hadn't seen Pokemon cards in over 10 years.  The only explanation I could come up for seeing this was that Spain had been taking a 12 year siesta in coolness.  



Pollo de Alcala: Nerd capital of Alcala

Then the next day I went to the gas station and saw that they were selling Pokemon cards.  At this point it finally clicked that Pokemon was a big thing over here.  If not big, then at least it was a thing over here.  I was so delighted that I ended up buying a pack.  


And for all you wondering, I got a star Machamp and a holographic Pidgiotto.  Yeah, be jealous.




Although I was pretty excited to get the cards, the experience was a bit sobering to me.  I didn't know three of the Pokemon in the deck I bought.  Sharpedo?  Mamoswine?  Bronzong?  If I don't step up my nerdiness, pretty soon I will be wearing polos and shaving regularly.      

Ok, so I told Daniel to pose for the picture.  But I'm
sure that some Spaniards would react like
this to a pack of unopened Pokemon cards.

My host home brothers talked a lot of trash to me because of the cards.  Daniel asked me if I was 7 years old.  I think he just jealous that he didn't get a holographic Pidgiotto.    

Hasta Banana

No comments:

Post a Comment