Wednesday, June 1, 2011

So I'm going to Spain

Hey world,

Turns out I'm going to Spain in two days.  If you just continue with me in this blog for the next 2 months, you might as well be going with me.  Ok, that was a bit of an overstatement.  But I do hope you come along and enjoy the ride in Espana.

By the way,  My name is Andrew Ott.  I am a Spanish major and have studied Spanish in classrooms for around 8 years.  Language has interested me since I started taking it in 9th grade.  Language is arbitrary yet highly structured.  It is random yet one of the primary vehicles used to convey thought.  I would like to further acquaint myself with the Spanish language by going over to Spain.  More than just the language, I would like to discover more about the Spanish culture.  To be able to speak someone's language yet not understand their culture is to be unable to communicate with that person.  For example, the people of Morocco do not use or understand sarcasm.  If you tried to communicate a something to a citizen of Morocco by using sarcasm, they would be utterly lost.  Even if you spoke in perfect Arabic.  As I am in Spain, I desire to know more clearly what it means to be Spanish.

I guess I need to get back to packing.  I seem to have lost my passport somewhere.  If I can just find it I won't have to stow away.  I guess that would add an interesting dynamic to this whole trip, though.


Hasta banana!  (Spanish for: until banana!)

No comments:

Post a Comment